Monday, May 03, 2010

Countdown: 7 Days To Go

There are heaps of travel blogs out there that tell you all about the adventures people have been on. They sound a little like this:
"It's Tuesday. We woke up, and had breakfast. We went for a walk from our hotel and it was so exciting, there was *insert famous landmark* at our doorstep. We went to the landmark. We paid admission. We had lunch. We went home." And so it goes. The typical tales of scams, amazing saves, exciting new people and coincidental meet ups are inserted where necessary, along with plenty of travel tips.
Well I'm not one to deprive you of all those things that make travel blogs riveting. I know you don't want to miss out on hearing what I have for breakfast, so I'll be sure to update you accordingly.
But I also thought we'd throw in some cultural comparisons, some historical geekness (the beauty of having a world class nerd blogging her way round the town for you), as many sporting events as we can get to, and a runthrough of one of my favourite books, 1000 Things To Do Before You Die.
I have a geeky obsession with counting off all the gorgeous natural wonders, tourist attractions and beautiful buildings on this list. The only problem? It's made for the rich couple in their 60s, spending their retirement savings - not for the twenty somethings in a career crises, traipsing the land with their backpacks and not much else. That still hasn't stopped me from that exhilarating feeling I get when I pencil in the little asterisk inside the book to show I've taken care of yet another place. Granted, at this stage they are scarce  - but by the end of this Fabulous Tour, I'm sure we'll have a fair few more.

Bring it on, you guys. And as of today, let me assure you the ticket is booked.

No comments: