Monday, May 24, 2010

Gateway to Paradise

I've been in a fair few airports in my time, and I love how they tend to reflect the local climates and culture. In Long Beach, California, where I lived for a year, the airport is nothing more than a basic beach bungalow. In Singapore, it's a city in itself, with day spas, hotels, shops and restaurants galore. Melbourne, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago are all functional and reflective of the city's nature: They're huge transportation hubs with everything the business traveller needs.

Koh Samui takes a different spin. The toilets are among the fanciest I've seen, ranked up there with five star hotels. The views are spectacular and the outdoor transit lounges include gorgeous hand carved furniture made from what looks to me like coconut wood, but what would I know.


Sipping from a coconut, reading the local paper and watching the sun go down, before embarking on the cute painted tram that drove us down to the runway was the perfect way to finish off a week in Paradise.


No comments: