Sunday, May 09, 2010

T minus 24

Hey you guys,

Well, call me unprepared, call me crazy, but today I bought my backpack.

Shoutout to @DriftingKiwi for his backpack purchasing guide, which was a huge help to the armchair shopper in me who has to do reams of research before heading out to store. According to the lovely Dave, I was looking for the following:

1.  A travel pack, because I ain't no hiker, and need it to be accessible from all ends.
2. Something made for a lady like me, who is shorter, narrower, and to quote the man himself, has "sticky out" bits different to a boy.
3. Something with nice quality zips and whatnot
4. Good quality over budget
5. NO WHEELS. They hurt your back.

So I headed down to Anaconda, feeling really girly and awkward when I found myself surrounded by all things adventurous and testosterony. I wanted to grab a canoe and a fishing rod to look less conspicuous, but found myself in the packs section surrounded by daunted would-be travellers just like me.

There was a kid in there with his grandma, trialling a pack with wheels at the bottom. I knew the answer to that one - hell no! I tried on a pack full of exciting zips and gadgets and straps and even built in locks, but after asking one too many intuitive questions to the staff member on hand, he realised I'd actually read some online articles and moved me onward to the knowledgeable and lovely Jess.

Jess helped me hit the jackpot with this lovely little piece from Deuter. It's a girl pack and I fell in love with it for the flower first up. The flower? Sorry, I mean the streamlined "slimline" style, the narrower straps, the special girly padding, the length (it's only 55+10 which is apparently the aim for a little girl like me), and the pretty grey colour. I know I'm not supposed to care, but you can't go past a bit of aesthetics.


Considering flight leaves tomorrow night, it might be about time I fill her up with my pieces of whatnot and get this show on the road!

No comments: